Happy New Year from all of us here at ClearWhite Dental! To get your New Year off on the right foot, here are 10 New Year’s Resolutions for a Beautiful and Healthy Smile.
1. Brush, Brush. Brush your teeth at least two times a day. Brush first thing in the morning to get rid of the overnight build up of bacteria, and to help you start the day with fresh breath. Then, brush at least one more time before bed.
2. Floss. With just one flossing a day you can take your mouth health to a whole new level. Flossing is the icing on the cake — just not as damaging to your teeth! If you’re wondering if you really need to floss, take a look at this.
3. Defensive Smiling. You’ve heard of defensive driving, right, well, go on the defensive to protect your teeth. If your child plays sports be sure he or she wears a mouthguard. If you’re taking part in sports you might want to consider a mouthguard too.
Beyond that, don’t use your teeth to open stubborn bags of food, or other times you want to use your teeth as scissors, clippers, or pliers.
4. Make Friends With Fluoride. Fluoride is your friend. Fluoride is a naturally occuring element that can make tooth enamel stronger and more resistant to decay. Children need fluoride as their teeth are forming, and adults need fluoride to protect their teeth enamel.
5. Pick Your Paste. These days, there is a toothpaste for every kind of dental need — sensitive teeth, teeth that need whitening, teeth that need strengthening, and on and on! But before you choose a toothpaste, ask your dentist which is best for you. Since she knows your overall health, she’ll be able to help you choose the right toothpaste that will enhance your dental health, not damage it.
6. Consider Implants. If you’re missing a tooth, or several teeth, consider these 7 benefits of dental implants. Dental implants are most often the best way to give your teeth a natural look, give you maximum chewing and speaking comfort, and decrease bone loss due to missing teeth.
Implants are a long term option for giving you a healthy smile.
7. Breathe Out. This one can be a tough resolution to keep, but ask a close friend or loved one to smell your breath. A certain type of bad breath can be a sign of periodontal disease, which can lead to other health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure.
“I can actually tell if someone has periodontal disease just by smelling their breath as they are seated in our treatment rooms,” says Dr. Jergins. “Having said that, we never want anyone to be embarrassed about bad breath. Most of the causes can be treated for them right in our office.”
8. See Your Dentist. Even if your teeth look great and feel great, please see your dentist. He will do more than look for cavities, he’ll also examine you for early signs of oral cancer and other oral issues that can lead to bigger health problems.
Plus, seeing your dentist regularly for cleanings and exams will save you money in the long run. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
9. Seal It. Dental sealants are another way to invest in prevention instead of paying for the treatment of cavities later. Your dentist can apply sealants to your child’s teeth right in the office, and those sealants will protect your child’s teeth from decay.
10. Smile More! For a truly beautiful smile, you have to use it! So brighten your face, your day, and others’ day by breaking out into a smile whenever you can. You’ll actually feel better. If you are too embarrassed of your teeth to smile, please make an appointment with your dentist.
“It really breaks my heart when I see patients who won’t smile because they don’t like the way their teeth look,” says Dr. Jergins of ClearWhite Dental. “It gives me great joy to help them feel confident enough to smile. And I know it makes them happier to smile without feeling like they have to hide.”
So use these 10 New Year’s Resolution tips for a healthy and beautiful smile.
Here’s to a great year!